Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Greek Chicken Souvlaki



It has definitely been a while since my last post, and I apologize for the long hiatus. I had a busy few months and even though I had been trying new recipes on and off, I did not have a chance to upload it on the blog!
This one is another one of the house favorites, because of how quick and easy it is to create. Chicken Souvlaki is a Greek dish that's made with marinated and grilled chicken and sometimes vegetables, all threaded onto skewers and broiled. It's often server with Pita bread.
 I paired my Chicken Souvlaki with store bought hummus, tahineh sauce, lettuce and olives, but I will also add in my recipe for my homemade yogurt sauce, which is basically my version of the tzatziki sauce.
Chicken Souvlaki can be quickly grilled or broiled in your oven and is a flavorful and quick meal for those busy weeknights. In fact, we ended up making this twice in one week because it was such a hit, can't argue with that kind of success! So without wasting much time, let me share this gem recipe with you!

Prep time: 15 mins Cook time:  25 mins

Ingredients:


Greek Chicken Souvlaki -


  • 1 Chicken Breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp Mrs Dash seasoning (I was out so I actually substituted with Montreal steak seasoning)
  • 1 tsp Lemon + Pepper Seasoning
  • 1 tsp fresh sea salt
  • 1 tbsp garlic paste
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper

Yogurt sauce -

  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, whisked
  • 1/2 cup cucumbers, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup water

  • Directions:
  1. For the chicken souvlaki, combine all the ingredients except the chicken in a large bowl
  2. Add in the chicken and toss it well in the marinade
  3. Leave the chicken in the marinade for about 30 mins to no longer than 2 hours
  4. You can add it skewers, or line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread the chicken evenly on the sheet. If using skewers, make sure to soak the skewers in water for about 2 hours prior to grilling
  5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. I used the broil setting in my oven for the chicken
  6. Broil chicken in the oven for about 18-20 mins or until cooked
Yogurt sauce - While the chicken is cooking, you can go ahead and make your yogurt sauce. Mix the ingredients for the yogurt sauce and add in the water gradually. Mix until it has reached desired consistency. 




I hope you enjoy this latest quick fix as much as my family did. Feel free to comment and give me your feedback on the recipe, or to ask any questions. Until then, Live, Love, Laugh & Eat.. Oh yes, EAT! 



No comments:

Post a Comment